Friday, October 16, 2009

Week 1

So I have been here for over a week now and have gotten into the full swing of things. I had my first full week of the after school program this week. It seemed to go well. Apparantly my class is known for being pretty wild but they must still be scared of me cuz they have been pretty good. I'm sure that will change quickly. All of the other interns here are really cool but I definately miss my friends back in Cali. Plus it is god damn cold here now and its raining. I'm told that the mountains aren't even getting snow yet cuz they aren't high enough elevation. Rain that is not working towards making the mountains ready for snowboarding just seems like a giant waste.
They keep us rediculously busy here. We are pretty much booked from 9am to 9pm everyday between comunity service and the after school programs and meetings and what not and their are required events on most weekends as well. I have, however, gotten to play a ton of basketball which has been fun.

On Wed night about 8 other interns and I drove into Philidelphia to see a band called Hey Ocean at some bar. So of course as soon as we walked in I left the group, going streight to the bar, and got a beer. Seeing as how, as interns, we aren't supposed to drink ,I assumed I would be silently judged by the mojority of the other interns. But when I cought back up with the rest of the group, everyone had gotten drinks. It was nice to get out of the little area of Camden where we spend the majority of our time and get a few drinks. The band was rediculously good.

With the exeption of two kids from my 8th grade class, the kids that we took to the skate park last weekend were high school kids who have never been involved with urban promise. They just skateboard in the parking lot everyday. Yesterday, one of these kids came into Urban and asked about volenteering with the jr. high and elementary school kids. I thought that was really cool that we impacted him enough to where he wanted to help out. The last two days I have been getting sick and I feel like hell at the moment so I am going to end this here. Thanks to everyone who has been texting me or facebooking me everyday to see how things are going. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment