Monday, November 9, 2009

From Prison to Messiah


Chris Skating in Bretts Shoes (thanks brett)

I have been so busy that I have not been able to get to my computer since my last post. I apologize for the longer intermission. Last Wednesday we took our 8th graders to a haunted house at Eastern State Penitentiary. It was basically on par with Knott's Scary farm but it was fun to watch all my kids get scared and I wore my Halloween costume which the kids got a kick out of.




My Halloween Costume



Last thursday we had a Harvest Festival for the kids and that was blast. I ran the booth with the plinko and there was one little asian kid that spent his entire day at my booth. He would play and then walk directly to the back of the line. After the carnival we had a raffle in which we gave out tons of prizes to tons of kids. It was alot of fun.

Kid that spent his day at my booth (sad cuz he lost)


Hosting Plinko

Last Friday we loaded up busses with all of our 3rd-5th graders and headed for hershey park. Thankfully I got to ride in the van with other interns and not in the bus with 100 little kids. We arrived at Hershey Park and I was assigned two 5th grade boys to follow around for the day. The kids had a blast and I did as well. When we first arrived they were telling me how scared they were and I told them that that makes it more fun because it gets your adrenaline going. At one point after a rollercoaster, Quincy looked at me and said, "I don't know what my adrenaline is, but I sure like it".


After hershey parked we took the kids to a nearby hotel and checked everyone in (the staff must have hated us). We then proceeded to take all of the kids to the indoor pool at the hotel which of course sent the people previously in the pool running for their lives. After we swam for a couple hours we returned to our rooms and went to bed.





5th grader doin back flips

The next day we headed to Messiah College, where these poor college students were assigned groups of our kids to take on a scavenger hunt. I was assigned to wait at some bridge for kids to arrive there as a part of the scavenger hunt. When I saw the first group arriving, I couldn't help but laugh at the group of kids that this poor girl had. She had somehow chosen to take the most difficult kids we have all in one group. I could tell that there was a far greater need for me with this group than at the stupid bridge so I spent the rest of my day tagging along with this group and making sure they didn't eat this poor girl alive.


5th grade boys at Messiah

We returned home from Messiah on Sunday night and had camp Monday through Wed of this week. We then had the Urban Promise Summit in which the staff from Urban Promise Locations all over the world come to Camden and we have guest speakers and workshops and all sorts of fun. The summit took place on Thursday and Friday. The speakers that I remember best were Duffy Robbins and Brian McClaren. McClaren was amazing.

After the summit on Friday I hopped in a car with 3 other interns and headed to Boston. Our weekend in Boston was absolutely rediculous and requires its own post..... Boston Post Coming Soon........

2 comments:

  1. The bus ride to Messiah wasn't so bad; the last twenty minutes of the ride back deserved some executions?

    By the way, how do you feel about my hermaphroditic semi-colon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it shows you went to college

    ReplyDelete