Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Drive slow in Virginia (or at least have super nice ex girlfriends)

Last week was our first week of camp and it went very well. My class was well behaved and there isn't too much to tell about the happenings of the week. It was good to get back into the routine and fun to be playing basketball and just hanging out with everyone again.


Thursday after camp I went left to drive down to Tennessee to visit my ex girlfriend (Samantha) as we had sort of started to rekindle the relationship. It's about an 8 hour drive from Camden to Johnson City Tennessee and at about 11:30 pm (when I was only about 50 miles from Samantha's house) I was pulled over by a county sheriff. Apparently a Virginia state police officer had seen me and called ahead to the county sheriff who was waiting to get me on radar. When the officer pulled me over, he informed me that I was going over 20mph over the speed limit which is a misdemeanor and that California does not honor Virginia's arrest warrants. He informed that this meant that, if he did not arrest me and force me to post bail, I would have no incentive to return for my court date. So the officer arrested me and took my to the station where both the County Sheriff and the State Officer each issued me separate tickets for reckless driving (over 80mph) and then had me taken to county jail where I would have to post 1,500 dollars bail to be released. Of course Samantha, being a college student, did not have the money to bail me out, so my parents had to wire her the money. After a whole fiasco of trying to get the money, she finally got it and then had to meet with a bondsman to get me out of jail. Basically she is an amazing friend (or whatever we are/were) and managed to get me out at around 10am on Friday before I was booked into population (meaning I was in a holding cell by myself the whole time).


Amazing girl who saved me this weekend

Once she picked me up and took me to get my car, we drove back down to her house in Tennessee. She was quite displeased with me to say the least (and understandably so), not for everything she had to go through but more because I was driving so fast and being irresponsible. Because of this she decided that I could only stay until Saturday rather than Monday like originally planned. It was still nice to hang out during the time that I was there and we ended up talking about a lot of stuff that needed to be discussed. In the end we decided that we needed to go back to being just friends for now, for a number of reasons, and I headed back up to Camden.



Relaxing with June, glad to be free

I got back to Camden just in time to go to a concert at a bar in Philadelphia with a couple of the other interns. I enjoyed the show but was exhausted from not sleeping either of two prior nights. We got back from the show around midnight. I slept until early afternoon on Sunday and then spent the rest of the day relaxing and watching football.


Monday I woke up, went to lunch with some friends, and then Chad and I piled about 12 kids into a van and a car (thanks to Jesus (Castro not Christ) who let us barrow his van) and took them to the skate park. Angel, the 8th grader from my class that I gave his first skateboard 3 months ago, is now better than me and is on the skate team with the other kids that are trying to get sponsored. After spending a few hours at the skate park and collecting a sufficient amount of cuts and bruises, we brought the kids back to Urban and hung out and watched all the video Chad had taken of the day. For those of you that have Facebook, Chad will be editing the footage and putting a video up on my Facebook page at some point. There will be lots of footage of me eating it... hard. After the kids went home I watched some Anamaniacs and went to bed early.



Even though my weekend didn't go quite as i had hoped, I am really glad that Samantha and I talked about the things we did and that I was back on Monday to take "team haze" to the skate park. I'm looking forward to an uneventful week of just hanging out with kids and getting back to my normal schedule.


Below is a video the kids put together of themselves skating. I don't think it really does justice to how good they have gotten but enjoy it anyway, If you cant' watch the video, click the link to YouTube below it.








2 comments:

  1. Damn your constant use of multimedia and my inability to access it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sometime i'll show you all the video's posted on here on my computer if you want.... or maybe i'll just keep taunting you with weekly unviewable video's.

    ReplyDelete