Monday, February 1, 2010

I'm sick. Cut me some slack.

I really need to start blogging more than once a week because I forget way too much of the entertaining stuff that happens by the time Monday rolls around. Last Monday camp went relatively well. We tried out having an art class and gym class for the activity time of our after school program. I ran the gym class and it was a little hectic because there were too many kids in each group. This week were are going to try dividing them up into 4 groups. We will have a creative expression class, a cooking class, a drama class, and a basketball class. I, of course, am running the basketball class. I would have liked to have done the creative expression class as well but how could I pass up basketball? I will let you know next week how it all goes.


On Tuesday the zoo came back and brought some more animals (nothing quite as cool as the porcupine this time). The kids were really rowdy and somewhat disrespectful of the zoo people so our director decided to cancel camp on Wed.


Wednesday night we had our street leader night, as always, and we were able to play basketball again instead of dodge ball, which I was quite grateful for.


Thursday was a long day for me. I woke up and drove to Sam's club to buy some meat for a dinner we were having with other interns from other Urban Promise locations as well as people from a program we work closely with called mission year. I bought some steaks and some chicken and made a marinade (that I learned to make from James Shaddy) and left them to marinate until after camp. My class was rough because some of the girls were dealing with some pretty tough issues with a friend. I ended up scrapping the bible lesson that I had planned and just talked with them and did my best to answer some questions they had. After camp I fired up the grill and cooked up about 60 steaks and 30 chicken breasts for our dinner. After a few hours of barbecuing, we sat down to eat. The food was a big hit (thanks James) and then some Jimmy Walker looking guy in a sweater vest (I'm not being racist, dude actually looked like Jimmy Walker from Good Times) talked to us about the homeless in Camden. The information was shocking, in a city of 70,000 we have 3,000 homeless.


Friday and Saturday I was sick and didn't do a whole lot. Yesterday, I went snowboarding with Garret and Chad at Blue Mountain in PA. The mountain was not quite up to par with what we have in California but it had some nice features and it is only about an hour and a half away so it was definitely worth the trip.

Chad and myself at Blue Mountain

Me doing a backside 360 off of one of the smaller jumps

The video of our trip to the skatepark and other antics from that day is now on my facebook and there will be one from snowboarding up soon (the camera died after 2 runs so the the snowboard one might not be great). Here is the link to view the skateboarding video: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/video/video.php?v=554510844151&ref=mf


I am still a little sick so that is all I am going to write for the week. Sorry it wasn't more entertaining.

1 comment:

  1. I demand that you entertain me!

    Well, not so much... seeing as it's my fault you're sick.

    ReplyDelete