Monday, March 1, 2010

Martin Luther King snowboarding and shot in the leg

Last week we only had one day of camp. Monday we had a typical day of camp. My basketball class is starting to run a little more smoothly. Tuesday we had the Martin Luther King Speech Contest. This is where a number of kids from all of the Urban Promise after school programs here in Camden write speeches about a civil rights leader and then present them in front of parents, Urban Promise staff, and a panel of judges. A number of the speeches were very touching. I helped one of my 8th grade girls with her speech and thought about pulling a Kanye when she didn't win by running on stage, taking the mic and ranting about how Alishia deserved to win but decided against it when one of our 7th graders won instead.


On Wednesday all of the interns went to Washington DC to learn about a program down there called Little Friends for Peace (I know what you're thinking but no it is not a program for midgets). Little Friends for Peace is a program at a school in Washington D.C. that is run by a totally awesome older hippy woman named MJ. The program revolves around teaching kids an attitude of peace and non-violence. The presentation was a little corny for me and for that reason I don't know that a lot of it would work with our Jr. High kids but the idea's behind everything were great. I may even use a few things (presented slightly differently) with my kids for a cell group (Bible lesson) on Thursday.


After the peace workshop we got to walk around the city for the rest of the day. I had been to D.C. a few times before but it was still cool to see some of the monuments and there was even a new one that I hadn't yet seen. We then all met at some some crazy chicken joint (no not El Pollo Loco) for dinner and I ate an entire chicken before returning to Camden.

On Thursday it snowed enough for them to cancel school and so we also canceled camp. Garret, Chad, Kelly (girl who also works for Urban Promise), and I decided to head up to Kelly's house in the Pocono's Thursday night so that we could snowboard at Camelback in PA on Friday. It snowed all night on Thursday and snowed lightly most of the day on Friday. We got up bright an early and got out on the mountain Friday morning and we were practically the only ones there. We had some amazing powder runs and had the snowboard park virtually to ourselves for most of the morning. It the afternoon it got a bit more crowded but overall it was one of the best days of riding I've had in years. We got some video but not a ton because we were having way to much fun to stop and do many video sessions.

Friday night we barbecued at Kelly's house and went in the hot tub and just hung out. It was a lot of fun. We slept in on Saturday, cleaned the house and then got breakfast at a diner before heading back to Camden. We considered riding again on Saturday but decided it wasn't worth the money and it couldn't live up to the riding we did on Friday anyway.

On Sunday I just relaxed and watched the U.S.A. hockey team lose to Canada in a heartbreaking overtime thriller with a bunch of the other interns. Today we had camp again as usual. My basketball class went really well. I also found out that one of our 7th graders was shot in the leg yesterday. It wasn't even a stray bullet like you might expect. Someone just ran up to him at the bus stop randomly, shot him twice, and ran away. He is going to be alright, but he is still in the hospital so please keep him in your prayers.


I am leaving in the morning to drive back down to Virginia to take care of my court stuff. I have court at 1:30pm on Wednesday so please pray for me, that I can get all of this taken care of and that it doesn't completely bankrupt me.

No comments:

Post a Comment